This recipe is a nod to my up and coming Cretan food gathering. This Filo, Carrot and Spinach Pie is a great sharing dish served with a Greek salad. And it’s full of flavour and very nutritious. What more could you wish for? If you would like to come along to next year’s Cretan Foodie Gathering please contact me via the Mad March Hare website.
1 large bag or bundle of spinach – dark green variety
Large onion finely chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 packet of feta cheese – crumbled
3 grated carrots (Buy muddy ones from Wilson’s, North Berwick – they taste like carrots should!)
Half a cooked sweet potato or butternut squash
1 packet filo pastry
Handful of pine nuts or any nut you like
Handful of raisins (optional)
Nutmeg and cinnamon to taste
One teaspoon turmeric
Pinch of ground cloves (optional)
Herbs – dill, parsley and coriander
125g melted butter or olive oil
2 egg yolks
Malden sea salt and White pepper
1. Fry onion until soft, add garlic, spices and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Wilt spinach, drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible (which you can drink). Chop the spinach with scissors and add to onion mix. Remove from the heat.
3. Add sweet potato or squash, grated carrot, feta, pine nuts, raisins, egg yolks, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
4. One by one, generously brush each sheet of filo with melted butter or olive oil and add to a pie dish. Use three on the base then start layering – alternating filling and filo. Once you run out of filling top off with three sheets of filo.
5. Bake 200ºC fan oven for around 20 minutes or until the top is golden.
Eat and enjoy!
MAD MARCH HARE
Please head over to our website to find out about all the latest Mad March Hare events www.themadmarchhare.com | follow us on our Facebook page The Mad March Hare | t: 07809 895 469 for any enquiries.