Watch out those beautiful culinary pumpkins are back in season! We are blessed to have Kilduff Farm here in East Lothian producing some beauties right now and I can’t wait to work my way through the whole darn lot of them. This pumpkin and courgette with pearled spelt, and a tahini yoghurt and lemon dip is just perfect for autumn. The recipe uses Kabocha, but any pumpkin would work just as well.
Pumpkin of choice, peeled if you don’t like the skin, but equally tasty with the skin on
Pearled spelt (available in Earth Matters)
Courgette or marrow, cut into cubes
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
Dill and parsley
4 tbsp Light Tahini (Belazu is the best)
300g Live yoghurt
Lemon juice and zest
1 tbsp Olive oil
Malden sea salt and black pepper
1. Cook the spelt barley, I prefer it slightly under cooked with a bite. Drain and set aside.
2. Roast the chopped pumpkin and courgette at 160ºC until you can stick a fork into both. The courgette will cook faster so add about 15 minutes after the pumpkin.
3. Meanwhile fry up onions until soft and add garlic. Season to taste.
4. Add spelt, roasted veg, chopped herbs and lemon zest.
5. For the dip, mix tahini, yoghurt, lemon juice and olive oil together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle a bit of dill on top
Such a simple dish full of goodness. Try not to smile when eating
MAD MARCH HARE
Please head over to our website to find out about all the latest Mad March Hare events www.themadmarchhare.com | follow us on our Facebook page The Mad March Hare | t: 07809 895 469 for any enquiries.